Yorkville Sourdough Baguettes 76% hydration
I was disappointed in my last set of baguettes so had to bake another set. With this set, I was using this new AP flour again and based on the last set decided to go with 76% hydration and do hand mixing so I could better assess how the dough felt. I also didn’t do any cold retard because the dough in the last set really resisted stretching as it was still a bit cold during shaping.
I have only two baguettes to show this time, one of the shaped and fully proofed baguettes slipped off the transfer board and hit the edge of the countertop and stretched out of shape degassing. I didn’t bother to bake it. This dough didn’t resist stretching and in fact I barely had to so any stretching during shaping. In fact, they ended up a bit too long for the cookie tray that I use to support the couche and the pointy ends ended up sticking to the cookie tray and I had to wrestle them off. Despite this I am quite happy with this bake.
Another thing I have been exploring is whether more gluten development can allow longer fermentation and still retain the grigne/ears of the baguettes. I’ve increased the slap and folds up to 260 this time and I really pushed final proofing to a total rise of 50% far greater than what was my standard when I first became adept with baguettes. Back then I tried to get the baguettes in the oven by 30% rise so 50% is a much more. The ears were retained and the crumb looked decent. I think I can push a bit more to 55% with this flour and this degree of gluten development.