RWC SD @ 75%
I have posted similar loaves in the past, but there's probably been enough change to the formula, I thought I'd add a new entry. This bread is what I make every week about 90% of the time (my recent olive and cranberry loaves notwithstanding.) Over the past year or two, I've swapped the amounts for whole wheat vs durum, in favor of a higher % of durum in the mix. All of the non-white flour is freshly milled in my Komo Fidibus mill.
Oh, and I've confused people in the past with the RWC abbreviation......it's the city I live in (Redwood City.) :)
- 401g All Purpose (Central Milling Beehive)
- 401g Bread (CM High Mountain)
- 232g Durum (CM)
- 58g Whole Wheat (CM Hard White Winter)
- 58g Rye (CM)
- 240g Levain (100%, WW)
- 833g Water
- 26g Salt
Total Flour = 1270g
Total Water = 953g
Hydration = 75%
I usually keep my weekly bakes at 72%, but on a whim, decided I'd push that up to 75% for this bake. I also decided to use my Ankarsrum to develop the dough rather than hand mixing/folding (again, on a whim.)
Gave my starter a good feed before I went to bed, then built my levain in the morning. I like to keep my starter jar and levain "bucket" sitting on my TiVo.....seems to keep things at a temperature that the yeast like! :)
Autolysed the whole grain flours with an equal weight of water for about 90 minutes.
Fired up the Ank, and mixed in my levain and remaining water, then added the AP/bread flours. Once everything was mixed well, I covered the Ank bowl with a towel, and let it rest for about 20 minutes. After the rest, I added the salt, and mixed everything to a good windowpane, which took about 10 minutes or so.
My total bulk (from addition of levain) was 4 hours (and hour longer than usual, just "for fun"), and I threw in three sets of stretch/folds, as the dough was a bit more slack than I wanted. After I judged the bulk to be complete, I divided, pre-shaped, shaped, and set the bannetons back in the proofer for about 30 minutes. At that point, both loaves headed to the fridge for a 12 hour nap.
This morning, I preheated my oven with stone to 475° for about 45 minutes, then slid loaf #1 into the oven covered with my enameled roaster. Baked covered for 25 minutes, and uncovered for 15 minutes (another process modification....extending the covered time to see how much thinner the crust ends up.
I'm very happy with how both of these loaves turned out. Got a super nice ear on one of them, with a decent ear on the other.....interestingly, the only difference of note on these two loaves is that one banneton is slightly larger than the other. I don't care enough to experiment on that front.
One of these loaves will be "donated" to a neighbor, the other should be gobbled up within four days or so.